Skocz do zawartości

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Recka Destructoid:

More of the same but that's not a bad thing

Does the "second album" syndrome exist in videogames? If you're not familiar with that phrase, it's the idea that a band's second album is much harder to make than the first. Should a band break away from the style it forged with debut or should its second effort explore new ground? In the videogames industry, a developer is usually charged with making a direct sequel to their first game, to just build on what came before. 

Bastion, the first game from indie studio Supergiant Games, stood out from the crowd thanks to its sumptuous art style, haunting music, and approachable gameplay. Supergiant has followed up its debut with Transistor, which feels like a sequel despite an all-new setting and characters.

transistor1-620x.jpg

Transistor (PS4, PC [reviewed])
Developer: Supergiant Games
Publisher: Supergiant Games
Release: May 20, 2014
MRSP: $19.99 / £14.99

Transistor tells the story of Red, a popular singer from the gleaming future city of Cloudbank who is mysteriously attacked. Stumbling away from the encounter that has robbed her of her voice, she comes across a huge bladed weapon, the Transistor, embedded in a lifeless corpse.

The Transistor hosts the personalities of various individuals, all of whom give Red different abilities during combat, which she'll need to fight off the waves of robotic enemies she'll encounter. Cloudbank is undergoing a huge change. Almost all of the population has either vanished or fled for the countryside; the robots are changing the city but into what, and where did they come from?

Transistor most differs from its predecessor with its combat mechanics. Where Bastion was a straightforward action game, Transistor adopts a more strategic system.

Pressing the right trigger or right mouse button allows Red to pause time and set up a sequence of actions, like attacks or movements, which are then played out really quickly. Initially it feels like a slow experience but once you become accustomed to the powers of the Transistor and the strengths and weaknesses of enemies, you'll be able to rapidly formulate a plan of attack. 

Red can only set up a limited number of actions, so if there are still enemies present, she'll need to use nearby cover and the Jaunt ability to avoid attacks. Taking too much damage will give Red an emergency turn but if that's not enough to dispatch the stragglers, one of her powers will become overloaded and it'll be unavailable until Red finds at least two access points later on in the world. These points are where Red can adjust her loadout and swap functions between passive and active slots.

There's a great deal of variety as to how you can spec Red out since each function can be set as either an active function, an upgrade, or a passive function. For instance, the Clash function works as a short-range melee attack; if you set it as an upgrade, it'll add a stun ability to whatever attack it's paired with. Set it as a passive ability and Red will have a shield to protect herself from damage.

What's really neat is that equipping functions in various slots will unlock information about the person they came from. It turns out all were major figures in Cloudbank life but all mysteriously vanished after coming into contact with a group called the Camarata. Another thing that is interesting is that robots will drops cells that will allow the enemy to come back to life, or spawn a new enemy type, if they're not picked up quickly enough. 

transistor5-620x.jpg

It's a flexible system but it does have its drawbacks; since Red can only alter her loadout at an access point, you won't be able to plan ahead and make changes for the enemy types you'll encounter further on. You'll just have to hope that whatever functions Red has equipped will be enough to do the job against whatever selection of enemies you come across next.

This is made even harder as during protracted battles, the Transistor can be stripped of its functions as they're overloaded; this should be something that changes your tactics but it's very rare to be at death's door. Red will recover after every battle and really, it just makes these encounters last longer than they should, especially if you're left with a single attacking option.

Despite enemies gaining new abilities as the game progresses, the battle sequences stick to the same formula: Red plans, then carries out the attacks, then dodges enemies as best she can whilst the Transistor recharges. It would have been nice to see some more options to take enemies on without using the planning phase; Red can use all of her abilities in real time but it makes much more sense to take advantage of the planning phase to execute attacks as Red can do extra damage by attacking robots from behind. 

While Transistor initially feels like a whole new game, structurally it sticks closely to Bastion. Both games feature a beautiful but abandoned city that has undergone huge tragedy. In Bastion it was called the Calamity; in Transistor, it's dubbed The Process. Both feature areas where the player can rest and take stock; Red finds special doors which take her to a deserted island where challenge rooms are located (much like the Proving Grounds in Bastion). If the game isn't sufficiently challenging, Limiters can be installed that will make things harder for Red but at the benefit of gaining extra XP or other bonuses. These can be installed like Functions, swapped in and out at access points, but work the same way as the Idols in Bastion

transistor4-620x.jpg

It feels unfair to claim that Transistor is just Bastion with a fresh coat of paint as there's a whole new story, setting, characters, and the combat mechanics are very different. Jen Zee's artwork is stunning as always, Darren Korb provides another set of great songs, and Logan Cunningham's voice is center stage again, as the Transistor. It's a different performance this time compared to the gravelly wisdom of Bastion's Rucks -- the Transistor starts off unsure of what it really is or how it came into existence.

There are a number of touching scenes later on in the game and plenty of small things that flesh out the world and show a good eye for detail. The combat screen offers helpful tips at the top left and various dialogue boxes fill in small details of what Cloudbank was like before the Process. 

Supergiant Games hasn't delivered a wholly new experience with Transistor but it's still an enjoyable game that's well made and has wonderful art and sound. The new tactical combat is welcome and there's some real enjoyment to be had in tinkering around with all of the available Functions. However, if parts of Bastion left you cold, then you may find the similar structure of Transistor and its themes will have a hard time winning you over.

Still, it's worth trying; the world of Cloudbank is a wonder to behold and the mystery of the Camarata, the Process, and the Transistor itself is something that is really worth exploring. 

THE VERDICT - Transistor
Reviewed by Alasdair Duncan

8.5 /10
Great: Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding it back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash. Check out more reviews or the Destructoid score guide.

Launch trailer:

Świetna muzyka, design i sam pomysł na grę również ciekawy.

Z pewnością zaopatrzę się w swoją kopię ale raczej nie w najbliższym czasie bo mam dość tytułów do ogrania na obecną chwilę.

Edytowane przez Paliodor

Nie przesadzaj, masz osobno tematy np. z Outlast, Dead Nation, Daylight, Trine 2 :)

No a co do samej gry - chętnie sprawdzę jak już chociaż część z zaczętych gier przejdę, bo nie lubię zostawiać w połowie i zaczynać nowych, później powrót najczęściej nie jest tak przyjemny.. Transistor wygląda interesująco i oceny też napawają optymizmem. Na bank sprawdzę, ale nie ustalam sobie kiedy :P

Pograłem wczoraj i skończyłem. Gra na jakieś 6-8 godzin. Świetna atmosfera i piękny design. System walki spoko, bardzo dużo możliwości kombinowania ponieważ każdy ze skilli może być aktywny, pasywny albo modyfikujący dla innych umiejętności.

Fabuła jest interesująca i utrzymuje swój klimat do końca. Brakuje trochę walk z bossami, bo w całej grze są chyba 3 czy 4. Muzyka jest świetna przez całą grę.

Po skończeniu mamy dostęp do NG+, gdzie zachowujemy swój poziom postaci + wszystkie umiejętności które mamy, a przeciwnicy zachowują swój poziom. Aby sobie utrudnić można grać z różnymi Limiterami, które na przykład zwiększają otrzymywane obrażenia itp.

Ogólnie gierka bardzo fajna i oceniam ją na 8/10.

Pograłem w Transistor.

Gra, jak przystało na dobre gierki ogólnie kojarzone jako indyki, pielęgnuje najlepsze tradycje retrogrania i jest, przy moim spojrzeniu na gry, właściwą kontynuacją tego, co mieliśmy zanim gry dostały technologiczną możliwość udawania słabych Hollywoodzkich filmów. Watch Dogs mogło kosztować 100 mln dolców i mieć 100 mln pikseli, ale tak naprawdę widać, że to nakładka na Assasina, który też nie raził oryginalnością, tymczasem Transistor to po prostu osobne dzieło sztuki, w którym wszystko jest własne.

Ogólnie jeszcze bardziej niż Bastion można pomyśleć, że to gra japońska. Nie ma tu za bardzo scenek filmowych ani w ogóle sekcji nieinteraktywnych, a jeśli już są, to zrobione ciekawie, ze smakiem. Chodzimy gałką no i to w sumie tyle ze schematów, których setki są w każdej "dużej" grze. W porównaniu z Bastionem, gra jest bardzo skomplikowana i nieprzejrzysta, momentami nie do końca wiadomo, o co chodzi w tym cybernetycznym świecie. Zdecydowanie przywodzi to na myśl różne anime, niektóre gry Atlusa i Square Enix, takie jak World Ends with You czy Shin Megami Tensei. Oczywiście gra jest znacznie prostsza - w porównaniu do epickich sci-fi jRPG-ów jest jak opowiadanie przy powieści.

System walki jest angażujący i kręci. Chce się ciągle więcej. W skrócie mówiąc, mamy cztery miejsca na "funkcje", które, powiedzmy, mogą być jednocześnie albo akcją (cięcie krótkie, długie, rozprysk iskier itp.), albo materią (dodanie do tej akcji efektu, np. dodatkowy paraliż, zasięg itp., ale to też zależy od konkretnej akcji). Tak więc przy każdej kolejnej zdobytej funkcji pojawia się mnóstwo kolejnych kombinacji do spróbowania. Jak na razie zmieniałem całe ustawienie co walkę i tylko żałowałem, że nie mogłem ich stoczyć jeszcze raz, bo było jeszcze wiele możliwości do poprawienia, popróbowania. Kręci też na pewno to, że funkcje dodatkowo są dość powiązane z całym światem i fabułą gry, podobnie jak i tytułowy miecz, którego używamy. I to w fajny sposób, nie ma tu męczącego tłumaczenia, skąd co się wzięło, bo niby musimy być "realistyczni" i wszystko tłumaczyć na talerzu, tylko dostajemy samo mięsko.

Stylistycznie, gra jest oszałamiająca, natomiast jej jednowymiarowość pozostawia pewien niedosyt, nawet jeśli jednocześnie gra cały czas przyciąga i fascynuje. Mimo wszystko, na ten moment najlepsza gra roku, poza oczywiście Mario Kart ∞ (nie wiem jak Bravely Default).

Edytowane przez ogqozo
  • Plusik 1
  • 2 tygodnie później...

Gierek jak Child of Light... Można by napisać spokojnie porównanie takie, że te gry są podobne, jak i takie, że w ogóle nie są. Zależy konkretnie o co ci chodzi. Child of Light na pewno nie można by posądzić o bycie japońską grą, ot, typowy dla Ubisoftu amalgamat najpopularniejszych obecnie motywów gatunku stopionych i wygładzonych do nowoczesnego, gładkiego kształtu. Obie gry inspirują się japońskimi RPG-ami, ale Transistor... także tymi późniejszymi niż ze SNES-a, ponadto wnosi o wiele więcej od siebie, jest odważniejszy.

No i po tych 5-10 godzinach zostawia SPORY niedosyt, co dla mnie jest lepsze niż sytuacja jak w Child of Light, gdy po tym czasie masz już dość repetytywnego klepania.

Edytowane przez ogqozo

Co za za(pipi)ista gra . Leżała u mnie na dysku już od jakiegoś czasu dziś odpaliłem i wsiąkłem. Gdyby nie inne sprawy na głowie to bym dalej grał. Polecam po 2 h bajka. Gra ma fantastyczną oprawę, super klimacik i po prostu dla mnie indyk roku na razie.

Child of Light mnie znudził po chwili więc nie porównywałbym tych dwóch gier. W dodatku ta ma zupełnie inny klimat.

• 3 tygodnie później...
  • 5 tygodni później...
  • 5 miesięcy temu...

Szkoda, że 3/4 graczy przekonało się o tym, bo Sony rzuciło za darmo :reggie:

PS. Akurat do ciebie Ficuś, to się nie tyczy, bo ogrywasz sporo indyków na Vicie, ale fakt jest faktem, że gra zasługiwało na znacznie większe zainteresowanie. Może tak źle nie było, bo z tego co wiem sprzedała się dobrze.

• Plusik 1

Ja jednak nie potrafię złapać bakcyla na indyki. Wiele już prób było i jedyne co mi podeszło to Another World Remaster a to wiadomo, spooooory sentyment. Obecnie ani nie popieram ani nie neguję istnienia indorów - bo na wszystko powinno być miejsce. Zagrałem chwilę, nie wkręciłem się dłużej niż 30 minut, sfera audio ok, intryguje historia, jest na dysku, może kiedyś liznę bardziej.