Skocz do zawartości

Gaming World

Gość Mr. Blue

Rekomendowane odpowiedzi

Valhalla.pl wystawiona na Allegro.

Obecni właściciele Valhalla.pl, po wielu trudach i znojach, najwyraźniej się poddali. Zamiast nowej wersji serwisu jest aukcja na Allegro. Aukcja, na której wystawiono “najstarszą markę gamingową w Polsce”.

http://gry.gadzetomania.pl/2012/09/24/valhalla-pl-wystawiona-na-allegro-smutny-koniec-legendy-polskiego-internetu

Scientists create game-playing AIs that are indistinguishable from humans

"The idea is to evaluate how we can make game bots, which are non-player characters (NPCs) controlled by AI algorithms, appear as human as possible," explained Miikkulainen.

nie wiedziałem gdzie to wkleić to daje to tu

• 4 tygodnie później...

Tak apropo rozmowy o "dziennikarzach" growych która się toczyła pare stron temu w CW, ciekawy artykuł z Eurogamera.

Lost Humanity 18: A Table of Doritos

By Rab Florence Published 24 October, 2012

There is an image doing the rounds on the internet this week. It is an image of Geoff Keighley, a Canadian games journalist, sitting dead-eyed beside a garish Halo 4 poster and a table of Mountain Dew and Doritos. It is a tragic, vulgar image. But I think that it is the most important image in games journalism today. I think we should all find it and study it. It is important.

lh18_1.png

This might be an image of Geoff Keighley if we're allowed to do that. If not, it'll be Dark Souls again.

Geoff Keighley is often described as an industry leader. A games expert. He is one of the most prominent games journalists in the world. And there he sits, right there, beside a table of snacks. He will be sitting there forever, in our minds. That's what he is now. And in a sense, it is what he always was. As Executive Producer of the mindless, horrifying spectacle that is the Spike TV Video Game Awards he oversees the delivery of a televisual table full of junk, an entire festival of cultural Doritos.

How many games journalists are sitting beside that table?

Recently, the Games Media Awards rolled around again, and games journos turned up to a thing to party with their friends in games PR. Games PR people and games journos voted for their favourite friends, and friends gave awards to friends, and everyone had a good night out. Eurogamer won an award. Kieron Gillen was named an industry legend (and if anyone is a legend in games writing, he is) but he deserves a better platform for recognition than those GMAs. The GMAs shouldn't exist. By rights, that room should be full of people who feel uncomfortable in each other's company. PR people should be looking at games journos and thinking, "That person makes my job very challenging." Why are they all best buddies? What the hell is going on?

Whenever you criticise the GMAs, as I've done in the past, you face the accusation of being "bitter". I've removed myself from those accusations somewhat by consistently making it clear that I'm not a games journalist. I'm a writer who regularly writes about games, that's all. And I've been happy for people who have been nominated for GMAs in the past, because I've known how much they wanted to be accepted by that circle. There is nothing wrong with wanting to belong, or wanting to be recognised by your peers. But it's important to ask yourself who your peers are, and exactly what it is you feel a need to belong to.

Just today, as I sat down to write this piece, I saw that there were games journalists winning PS3s on Twitter. There was a competition at those GMAs - tweet about our game and win a PS3. One of those stupid, crass things. And some games journos took part. All piling in, opening a sharing bag of Doritos, tweeting the hashtag as instructed. And today the winners were announced. Then a whole big argument happened, and other people who claim to be journalists claimed to see nothing wrong with what those so-called journalists had done. I think the winners are now giving away their PS3s, but it's too late. It's too late. Let me show you an example.

One games journalist, Lauren Wainwright, tweeted: "Urm... Trion were giving away PS3s to journalists at the GMAs. Not sure why that's a bad thing?"

Now, a few tweets earlier, she also tweeted this: "Lara header, two TR pix in the gallery and a very subtle TR background. #obsessed @tombraider pic.twitter.com/VOWDSavZ"

And instantly I am suspicious. I am suspicious of this journalist's apparent love for Tomb Raider. I am asking myself whether she's in the pocket of the Tomb Raider PR team. I'm sure she isn't, but the doubt is there. After all, she sees nothing wrong with journalists promoting a game to win a PS3, right?

Another journalist, one of the winners of the PS3 competition, tweeted this at disgusted RPS writer John Walker: "It was a hashtag, not an advert. Get off the pedestal." Now, this was Dave Cook, a guy I've met before. A good guy, as far as I could tell. But I don't believe for one second that Dave doesn't understand that in this time of social media madness a hashtag is just as powerful as an advert. Either he's on the defensive or he doesn't get what being a journalist is actually about.

I want to make a confession. I stalk games journalists. It's something I've always done. I keep an eye on people. I have a mental list of games journos who are the very worst of the bunch. The ones who are at every PR launch event, the ones who tweet about all the freebies they get. I am fascinated by them. I won't name them here, because it's a horrible thing to do, but I'm sure some of you will know who they are. I'm fascinated by these creatures because they are living one of the most strange existences - they are playing at being a thing that they don't understand. And if they don't understand it, how can they love it? And if they don't love it, why are they playing at being it?

This club, this weird club of pals and buddies that make up a fair proportion of games media, needs to be broken up somehow. They have a powerful bond, though - held together by the pressures of playing to the same audience. Games publishers and games press sources are all trying to keep you happy, and it's much easier to do that if they work together. Publishers are well aware that some of you go crazy if a new AAA title gets a crappy review score on a website, and they use that knowledge to keep the boat from rocking. Everyone has a nice easy ride if the review scores stay decent and the content of the games are never challenged. Websites get their exclusives. Ad revenue keeps rolling in. The information is controlled. Everyone stays friendly. It's a steady flow of Mountain Dew pouring from the hills of the money men, down through the fingers of the weary journos, down into your mouths. At some point you will have to stop drinking that stuff and demand something better.

Standards are important. They are hard to live up to, sure, but that's the point of them. The trouble with games journalism is that there are no standards. We expect to see Geoff Keighley sitting beside a table of s***. We expect to see the flurry of excitement when the GMAs get announced, instead of a chuckle and a roll of the eyes. We expect to see our games journos failing to get what journalistic integrity means. The brilliant writers, like John Walker for example, don't get the credit they deserve simply because they don't play the game. Indeed, John Walker gets told to get off his pedestal because he has high standards and is pointing out a worrying problem.

Geoff Keighley, meanwhile, is sitting beside a table of snacks. A table of delicious Doritos and refreshing Mountain Dew. He is, as you'll see on Wikipedia, "only one of two journalists, the other being 60 Minutes correspondent Mike Wallace, profiled in the Harvard Business School press book 'Geeks and Geezers' by noted leadership expert Warren Bennis." Geoff Keighley is important. He is a leader in his field. He once said, "There's such a lack of investigative journalism. I wish I had more time to do more, sort of, investigation." And yet there he sits, glassy-eyed, beside a table heaving with sickly Doritos and Mountain Dew.

It's an important image. Study it.

http://www.eurogamer...able-of-doritos

Wersja oryginalna. Teraz na stronie lezy zedytowana bo Lauren zagroziła pozwem (lel).

edit: ha, okazalo sie, ze koles musial odejsc z EG przez ta sprawe z Lauren.

vidya game journalism [*]

• Plusik 2
  • 2 tygodnie później...

W sumie też apropo tematu, który się ciągle u nas przewija...

Why we need to kill gameplay to make better games

(albo "Chmielarz powoduje shitstormy na GAFie")

knife_bloody.jpg

We love video games for being video games, right? At least that’s what I thought all my life. But after a reboot of my designer brain happened, I was stunned with the discovery that it might not necessarily be true.

I mean, I still like video games when they are video games. It’s just that I love them when they are not.

Let’s do a little experiment.

Listed below, there are five well known action-adventure games. Think about your favorite, most memorable moments from the single player part of each, then click on the + spoiler button and see if I have managed to guess any of these moments.

BIOSHOCK

First ten minutes. Entering Rapture.

CALL OF DUTY: MODERN WARFARE 2

No Russian. You take part in an airport massacre of hundreds of civilians.

GRAND THEFT AUTO 3+

Driving around, listening to the radio

RED DEAD REDEMPTION

Riding into Mexico, accompanied by a moody song.

UNCHARTED 3

The desert section. Dehydrated, tired Drake walks in circles in the desert’s heat and cold for two days.

What do all these moments have in common?

They are game-free. They are gameplay-less.

That’s right. You heard me.

If we understand gameplay as something that a challenge is a crucial part of, then none of these moments features any gameplay. You just walk, or swim, or ride a horse, but that’s it. You cannot die. You don’t make choices that have any long term consequences. No skill is involved.

There is no gameplay.

In other words, certain things worth remembering from certain video games are not what these video games are all about.

That’s fucked up.

But also great.

Because it means we still don’t understand video games. And if love them so much already,imagine what will happen when one day we will actually understand them.

There’s more.

If you read discussions like Most Jaw-dropping Scenery or Sequence in a Game you can see that the things that people remember from their favorite games are:

• Beautiful places

• One off events like a helicopter boss fight or escaping a house on fire

• Gameplay-less experiences like exploration or short interactive dramas

And, on the other hand, in threads like that no one ever talks about the regular gameplay. No one mentions combat zones, jumping sequences, or enemy variety.

In other words, game experiences we love to share with others are usually not about the regular second to second gameplay. Our brains don’t consider it worth remembering, and the only thing we usually have to say for it – especially months or years after we finish the game – is that “the gameplay was cool”.

gtalol.jpg

Is there an explanation?

I think so, and I also think you’ve heard that one before. It’s just weird that not many people do anything with it.

I think than when we’re focused on overcoming a challenge – we try to kill an attacker or win a race – we go into savage beast’s survival mode and shut ourselves down for any “higher class” emotions. Our vision gets extremely narrow, and we’re no longer multi-tasking. Beating the challenge becomes the only thing that matters.

The best example is QTEs. You either engage in them emotionally or win them, but you cannot do both at the same time.

Does it mean that if you want a deeply emotional game, you should drop regular gameplay, with all its core combat loops, gameplay mechanics and other voodoo?

Yes.

Any proof for that hypothesis?

The Walking Dead, for example.

Yeah, sure, it features “real gameplay” in the form of “survival moments” (fire a gun at a zombie) or light puzzle solving (pick up a key lying next to a chest to open the chest), but we all know these are just a fig leaf. Remove them and you would still get goose bumps just the same.

But if we remove the challenge and trial and error gameplay from video games, can we even still call them video games?

Who cares? Do you play games to pass the time or to create memories?

Wywaliłem filmiki ze spoilerów, bo bez przerwy interpretowało jako embedy, a nie linki i wywalało, że "za dużo mediów"... :-/

Siedmiu komandosów Navy SEALS ukaranych za wyjawienie tajemnic wojskowych w MoH: W (potwierdzone przez departament obrony USA).

Seven members of the U.S. Navy SEAL have been reprimanded and face further punishment for their parti(pipi)tion in the development of EA's Medal of Honor: Warfighter, CBS News reports.

According to the report, the members are currently under investigation for serving as paid consultants on Warfighter. It is believed that the Navy SEAL members used classified material which had been given to them by the Navy while consulting on the game. In addition, CBS reports that their parti(pipi)tion as consultants is a violation of an unwritten code that "SEALs are silent warriors who shun the spotlight."

While it is unclear what classified information the SEALs provided EA, the game publisher has publicized that real members of the military – both active and retired – served as consultants on the game to make it as authentic as possible.

The seven members of SEAL Team Six who served as paid consultants on the game are still on active duty, with CBS reporting that one of them was on the raid that killed Osama bin Laden. Four other members who have since transferred out of the unit but are still on duty are also under investigation.

The seven have reportedly received letters of reprimand and had half their pay taken away for two months.

Polygon has reached out to the Navy's media center and EA for comment.

Update: When reached for comment about whether EA was briefed on what the Navy SEALs could or could not discuss and the involvement of the U.S. Department of Defense, EA said: "We do not know if the veterans who consulted on the game were in contact with the Department of Defense."

Update: The U.S. Department of Defense confirmed with Polygon that seven Naval Special Warfare personel are facing administrative proceedings over violations that resulted from their involvement with Medal of Honor: Warfighter. We were issued the following statement:

A non-judicial punishment hearing was conducted yesterday, Nov. 7 and seven Naval Special Warfare (NSW) personnel faced administrative proceedings. An additional NSW investigation is ongoing to determine if more personnel may be involved.

They are being charged with violation of Article 92: Orders violation, misuse of command gear and violation of Article 92: Dereliction of duty, disclosure of classified material.

Two Senior Chief Special Operators and five Chief Special Operators received the punishment. They received a punitive letter of reprimand and forfeiture of ½ month's pay for two months.

Nie wiem czy to fuks, czy zamierzony marketing, ale no... Pewnie jeszcze więcej tego sprzedadzą...

In other news. To chyba juz koniec Sillicon Knights.

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy Unreal Engine games

by Steve Watts, Nov 09, 2012 8:15am PST